[Python-Dev] Unicode database

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Aug 11 01:01:19 CEST 2007

>> Sure. But (again): you don't need to have the mappings at all for
>> what you want to achieve. So there is no point in downloading them
>
> Sigh.  No, I don't.  But, if I want to be able to merge anything
> back into the main Python source, it is a VERY good idea to use the
> existing mechanisms and not invent new ones.

I think you still don't understand. Why I keep calling "mappings"
is *unrelated* to unicodedata. unicodedata is a different database, and
not related at all to the makefile. It never was.

> As I pointed out, there is already a problem where upgrading the data
> needs a complete rebuild to get all of the Unicode data back in step;
> 'make all' in itself does not work.  That is precisely the sort of
> problem that is caused by having duplicate update mechanisms.

Right. Downloading the necessary files is a completely manual process,
not supported at all by "make all", which is designed to do something
entirely different.

> Now, IF I can work out how the _sre.c engine works enough to put
> atomic/possessive quantifiers in, this problem will return.  My
> question would be how best to make a suitable proposal that, inter
> alia, includes changes that can't be made by the normal building
> mechanisms.
>
> And I still don't have a clue about that one.

You lost me somewhere. What are "changes that can't be made by the
normal building process", and what is "this problem" that will
return?

Regards,
Martin