[Python-Dev] Regular expressions, Unicode etc.

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 21:29:50 CEST 2007

[ I would appreciate not getting private copies as well. ]

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?= <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Before discussing the escape, I'd like to see a specification of
> it first - what characters precisely would classify as "printing"?

For basic ASCII and locale-based testing, whatever isprint() says.
Just as for isalpha().

For Unicode, whatever people agree!  I use the criterion that it
has a defined category that doesn't start with 'C' - which is what
I think that most people will accept.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679