[Python-Dev] Regular expressions, Unicode etc.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 8 20:48:46 CEST 2007

> Further to the above, I found the Unicode sources, have rebuilt
> the files, but it involved some fairly serious hacking to the
> building mechanism and I have had to disable the Unicode 3.2
> support.  And, of course, that means that 4 of the tests fail.
>
> This area needs addressing, not least because Python should
> clearly be upgraded to Unicode 5.0.0 (which is what I am using)
> at some stage.

I recommend you use the 4.1 version of the database; this should
work out of the box, with no change to the build environment at
all.

As for updating it - that has to wait until the next release
of Python. At that point, 5.1 might be releasesd, so 5.0 might
get skipped altogether.

> I am not sure how best to report a bug that essentially says
> "The build mechanisms for Unicode have suffered bit-rot, no longer
> work and need redesigning."  I could certainly do that, but it's
> not helpful - people already know that, from the comments :-(

I would likely close such a report as "works for me" (after testing
it does - it did when I last ran it, which was before the release
of Python 2.5).
It did not suffer from bit-rot - it still works just fine for
the version of the database that is supported.

As for the need for redesigning - I don't see that need. What specific
aspect do you think needs redesigning? If you merely meant to say
"I don't understand the code" - this is not enough reason, I
remember it took me some time to understand it as well, but now
I see that it does precisely what it needs to do, and precisely
in the way it needs to do that.

Regards,
Martin