[Python-Dev] Building Python with CMake

Alexander Neundorf alex.neundorf at kitware.com
Fri Aug 3 19:34:42 CEST 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 16:11, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> Because it would be a single unified build system instead of having two
> build systems like we have one (UNIX and Windows).
>
> Also, it would be much easier to maintain because Visual Studio projects
> are generated from a simple description, while right now if you want to
> change something you need to go through the hassle of defining it within
> the Visual Studio GUI.
>
> Consider for instance if you want to change the Windows build so that a
> builtin module is compiled as an external .pyd instead. Right now, you need
> to go through the hassle of manually defining a new project, setting all
> the include/libraries dependencies correctly, ecc. ecc. With CMake or a
> similar tool, it would be a matter of a couple of textual line changes.
>
> [ I'll also remember that "ease of maintanance for developers" is the #1
> reason for having a 2.1Mb python25.dll under Windows, which I would really
> love to reduce. ]

I thought I'll keep you updated, so:

attached you can find the current cmake files I use for Python 2.5.1.
They work for eCos, Linux, BlueGene and Windows (which doesn't mean everything
is supported or installed, but they create working python interpreters and
libs and install the most required files).

Compared to the first version they now contain more install rules, the
platform path is not hardcoded anymore and it contains a basic setup for
creating source and binary packages (tgz, Debian, Nullsoft installer,
PackageMaker depending on your cmake version).

Bye
Alex