[Python-Dev] Pythreads and BSD descendants

Jon Ribbens jon+python-dev at unequivocal.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 14:29:47 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 04:08:37PM +0000, Cameron Laird wrote:
> Folklore that I remember so unreliably I avoid trying to repeat it here
> held that Python threading had problems on BSD and allied Unixes.  What's
> the status of this?  I suspect the answer is, "Everything works, and the
> only real problem ever was that *signals* have different semantics under
> Linux and *BSD."  Anyone who can answer explicitly, though, would repre-
> sent a help to me.

This is just my personal opinion, but I suspect that this is perhaps
because people have *tried* threading more in Python than in many
other languages, because Python makes it particularly easy.

I've certainly had the experience that multithreaded stuff I have
tried has sometimes had problems under various OSes (Linux, Solaris,
OpenBSD, etc) due to operating system bugs with threading in general
rather than Python problems per se.