[Python-Dev] Python 2.5.1

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 20:52:12 CEST 2007

On 4/29/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Calvin Spealman schrieb:
> > On 4/29/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> >> Right. It shouldn't fail if the file is absent (it shouldn't
> >> pass in that case, either, but regrtest has no support for INCONCLUSIVE
> >> test outcomes).
> >
> > Perhaps that could become part of the improvements made through
> > test.test_support.TestCase?
>
> Sure. I think this is PEP material - I would like to declare
> "expected failure" as well.

I would second that. Twisted's trial system does a lot of this,
already. I suppose that this conversation would end inside this thread
now; it is officially off topic of the thread. But, yes, I would love
to see it. test_support could definately act as a testbed for new
things before moving to unittest or the unittest replacement.

> > Very true, but maybe more tests could have the more descriptive names,
> > then. For example, I would have known what it meant if the test name
> > prefix was test_sf_ instead of just test_. Changing the names
> > shouldn't interfere with anything else, so if I rename them in an
> > effort to help the next guy, would that be accepted?
>
> That would be fine (of course, we move away from SF, so these method
> names, at some point, will trigger synapses only for old-timers
> that still remember sourceforge; the bug IDs will remain constant in
> the next tracker).

So test_bug_ then.

> > Now that I have the full picture, I have less motivation about it.
> > Although, I am curious what is different about the situation where
> > pagefile.sys could not be stat'ed in 2.5.0 but other open files could.
>
> The error Windows reports is ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION. I never
> understood sharing fully, but it may be that if the file is opened
> in "exclusive sharing", stat'ing it may fail.
>
> I personally consider it a bug in Windows that you cannot get file
> attributes if some other process has opened it. Exclusive access
> should only restrict access to file contents, but not file attributes.

Perhaps there are things about the implementation of file operations
in "exclusive sharing" mode of files that can not guarantee
consistant, reliable, or correct results of a stat call during that
time, and the decision was simply "If it can't be correct, it can't be
at all."

http://ironfroggy-code.blogspot.com/