[Python-Dev] Python 2.5.1

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 29 09:53:07 CEST 2007

> After some googling it seems to me that this could
> likely be a User Rights Assignment issue of a systems
> file not an open file stat one, hence the Access
> denied error message (winerror 5) that I got in WinXP,
> as opposed to the File not found windows error
> (winerror 2) which one might expect if the
> pagefile.sys did not exist.

Ah - I didn't check what the error number is. If you
can get ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED, then most likely we need
to check for ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND as well (as your
original patch did) - it would be good if somebody
confirmed that the modified test indeed passes/gets
skipped when the pagefile is not on C:

> And therefore if the point of the test is just to test
> stating an open file then the temporary file approach
> makes sense. If modifying a systems file with or
> without User Rights Assignment is a requirement then
> we may need a new test altogether.

The test should ideally verify that you can stat all
open files in 2.5 that you could also stat in 2.4.
If you get ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED when stat'ing
c:\pagefile.sys in 2.5, I would *hope* that you get
a similar error from 2.4. If 2.4 could stat
c:\pagefile.sys and 2.5 gives ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED,
then the bug still isn't fixed.

Regards,
Martin