[Python-Dev] Python 2.5.1

Khalid A. Bakr khabkr at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 16:01:16 CEST 2007

Hello

I downloaded Python's 2.5.1 (final) bz2 source archive
the other day to try to compile it in MinGW. I have
noted down the following observations that might be of
interest.

1. The bz2 archive ships with
\Modules\collectionsmodule.c instead of the
\Modules\_collectionsmodule.c used in the 2.5 SVN
branch. In fact the collectionsmodule.c was removed
some time ago.

2. If _collectionsmodule.c is the one to be used in
branch and source then it follows that \PC\config.c
needs an update.

3. test_1686475 of test_os appears to rely on the
existence of "c:\pagefile.sys" like so:

        def test_1686475(self):
            # Verify that an open file can be stat'ed
            try:
                os.stat(r"c:\pagefile.sys")
            except WindowsError, e:
                if e == 2: # file does not exist;
cannot run test
                    return
                self.fail("Could not stat
pagefile.sys")

But since that file does not appear to be in my C
drive and since the Windows error returned is not a
numeric, but rather a string of the sort: "[Error 5]
Access is denied: 'c:\\pagefile.sys'" then that test
fails for me both in the MinGW compiled Python and in
the officially distributed one.

4. Also test_1565150 of test_os which reads as
follows:

    # Restrict test to Win32, since there is no
guarantee other
    # systems support centiseconds
    if sys.platform == 'win32':
        def test_1565150(self):
            t1 = 1159195039.25
            os.utime(self.fname, (t1, t1))

self.assertEquals(os.stat(self.fname).st_mtime, t1)

fails in the MinGW compiled Python with the following
message:

FAIL: test_1565150 (test.test_os.StatAttributeTests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "G:\projs\py25\python\r25\lib\test\test_os.py",
line 241, in test_1565150

    self.assertEquals(os.stat(self.fname).st_mtime,
t1)
AssertionError: 1159195040 != 1159195039.25

If the same test passes in the official CPython on the
same machine (and it does), can it then be deduced
that this is not a system's issue but a compiler one?

Thanks
Khalid