[Python-Dev] 2.5 branch unfrozen

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 26 00:29:10 CEST 2007

> But I would expect that this proposal will not pass the "buddy system"
> (which is a cute idea IMHO), as locking is counter to the Subversion
> Way.
>
> Also, you could accomplish what you want (a locked branch) with a
> pre-commit hook that just scans for paths in that branch.

I think "social engineering" is the appropriate way of dealing with
frozen code bases. IMHO, committers do need to consider release
mechanics in each and every commit (anticipating the demands
of release engineering whether or not a release is immanent); it's
not a bad thing if commits get rolled back because the committer
violated some constraints of the release manager. The 2.5.1 release
happened to reveal some misunderstandings as to how subversion is
used in the release process; having these issues cleared up was
well worth the trouble.

Regards,
Martin