[Python-Dev] Summaries and the New Lists

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Apr 24 23:04:40 CEST 2007

On 4/24/07, Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that I should be able to actually keep up with my summary duties,
> I need to figure out how to tackle the changing landscape of the
> development lists. The old summaries were no problem, before my time.
> When the python-3000 list was created, nearly everything was just
> conceptual, floaty talk that didn't have place in the concrete world
> of real development conversation in python-dev. The day recently came
> when python-3000 got to the point of being "real" enough to warrant a
> third list, python-ideas, for real floaty ideas and now conversations
> routinely cross all three. Something might be brought up in ideas,
> move to 3000 to be solidified, and then to dev to discuss backporting
> to 2.6 or so. Obviously, we're missing out on a lot for the summaries.
>
> So, the question I pose is how would everyone like to see this
> resolved? As I see it, there are two things I can do. I can either
> summaries each list separately, and try to sort out the cross overs.
> Or, I can start pulling in all three development lists into all the
> summaries. I prefer the second option, but I want to clear with
> everyone else. I hope no one has a problem with getting more with the
> summaries from now on? If not, I'll begin with the second half of
> April.

All in one is fine.  Just be *very* wary of getting burned out.  I
especially would watch out for python-ideas as any random idea can end
up there and just go on and on with no resolution.  I think only
worrying about python-dev is fine, and if you want to pull in
python-3000 that's great.  But I personally consider python-ideas too
wild to worry about summarizing.

-Brett