[Python-Dev] Deallocation of a pointer not malloced, any tips?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Apr 20 19:30:32 CEST 2007

    Kumar> Always the same warning; sometimes it even segfaults python, but
    Kumar> rarely. I only see it on Mac OS X (two separate machines), python
    Kumar> 2.4.3 both built from source via Darwin Ports. The same suite gives no
    Kumar> such warning on a 2.4.3 production machine running Free BSD.

In addition to Josiah's response I will note that the warning you get is
specific to the Mac's malloc implementation (or maybe more generally to
Darwin or *BSD).  It's not necessarily that the problem doesn't occur on
other platforms, just that the malloc implementation doesn't include that
sort of check by default.

    Kumar> I turned on MallocHelp but just stared blankly at heaps and stack
    Kumar> options.

I've used that stuff but it's been awhile.  Try "man malloc" in a terminal
window.  If that doesn't get you going post your questions
pythonmac-sig at python.org mailing list.  That's were most of the Mac-head
Python developers hang out.

Skip