[Python-Dev] Deallocation of a pointer not malloced, any tips?

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Fri Apr 20 17:59:15 CEST 2007

"Kumar McMillan" <kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I get this warning from my test suite when I introduced a segment of code:
>
> python(18603,0xa000d000) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not
> malloced: 0x310caa3; This could be a double free(), or free() called
> with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment
> variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
[snip]
> Sorry if this is all very vague, I'm just a bit stumped and wanted to
> see if anyone had some suggestions.

You may want the python-list mailing list or the equivalent
comp.lang.python newsgroup, unless this is a bug with Python itself (you
may try running Python 2.4.4, which is the next bugfix of the Python 2.4
series).

Regardless, you can help those who want to help you by providing the
code that you have written that causes the error.  A doubly nested
try/except isn't all that exciting, so I would guess many would be
surprised that you are getting double free errors.

 - Josiah