[Python-Dev] Python 2.5.1c1 pickle problem

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 23:53:03 CEST 2007

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

> I'm not sure what your code was doing where the bugfix would cause
> breakage.  If its __getitem__() override returned a meaningful value
> for each element in obj.keys(), then it should have worked fine.  Of
> course, if it was raising an exception or triggering a side-effect,
> then one could argue that the bugfix was working as intended by
> allowing  the subclasser to affect how the base class goes about its
> business.

It wasn't actually my own code, but that of a colleague. His
__getitem__() override is below. It fails because __getitem__() is
called with the wrong type of argument (plain int instead of
 a list of
atoms). I'm not sure it presents a convincing use case. I would have
used composition instead of inheritance in the same situation.

I don't feel competent to join the discussion about the changes in the
pickling behavior, but I feel quite strongly that such a change should
not be introduced in a bug-fix release.

Ralf

  def __getitem__(self, atoms):
    LIST = []