[Python-Dev] concerns regarding callable() method

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Apr 9 00:52:54 CEST 2007

On 4/8/07, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:
> "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I don't know a way to catch such situations now, so removing
> > > callable() will not make it worse (even if you don't know about hasattr
> > > trick above.)
> >
> > My point is that it's futile to use callable() -- even if it passes,
> > you have no assurance that you actually have a valid callback. So why
> > bother with it at all? It's counter to the spirit of Python. If
> > someone passes you a bad callback, they will see a traceback when you
> > call it. Then they fix their program. That's how it's supposed to
> > work.
>
> The point of using callable(x), or it's equivalent now of hasattr(x,
> '__call__') is to reduce reduce the time/lines of code between when an
> error occurs and when it is reported.
>     Errors should never pass silently.

I'm not sure if that argument weighs much (taken a bit farther it
would require static typing :-). Two arguments made earlier are
stronger IMO:

- The traceback can be much clearer if it comes from setcallback(x)
rather than from the actual call, much later.

- The pragmatic ability (which often occurs in "DWIM"-ish behavior in
template systems) to do different things depending on whether
something is callable or not. (While in theory I agree with Phillip's
objection that this should be dealt with in a more systematic way, in
practice, at least for Python 2.x, I think it's an "okay" thing to
do.)

But the same thing can be said for properties like iterable, or
hashable, and other primitive operations.

FWIW, I haven't given up on doing something with abstract base classes
here. I think they (or interfaces or generic functions, for that
matter :-) provide a more systematic approach than either callable()
or hasattr(x, "__call__").

TBC,

--Guido