[Python-Dev] PEP: Adding data-type objects to Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 29 20:37:09 CET 2006

Josiah Carlson schrieb:
> One could also toss wxPython, VTK, or any one of the other GUI libraries
> into the mix for visualizing those images, of which wxPython just
> acquired no-copy display of PIL images, and being able to manipulate
> them with numpy (of which some wxPython built in classes use numpy to
> speed up manipulation) would be very useful.

I'm doubtful that this PEP alone would allow zero-copy sharing of images
for display. Often, the libraries need the data in a different format.
So they need to copy, even if they could understand the other format.
However, the PEP won't allow "understanding" the format. If I know I
have an array of 4-byte values: which of them is R, G, B, and A?

Regards,
Martin