[Python-Dev] PEP: Adding data-type objects to Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Oct 28 01:44:21 CEST 2006

Travis E. Oliphant schrieb:
>     The datatype is an object that specifies how a certain block of
>     memory should be interpreted as a basic data-type.
>
>       >>> datatype(float)
>       datatype('float64')

I can't speak on the specific merits of this proposal, or whether this
kind of functionality is desirable. However, I'm -1 on the addition of
a builtin for this functionality (the PEP doesn't actually say that
there is another builtin, but the examples suggest so). Instead, putting
it into the sys, array, struct, or ctypes modules might be more
appropriate, as might be the introduction of another module.

Regards,
Martin