[Python-Dev] 2.3.6 for the unicode buffer overrun

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Oct 13 13:37:05 CEST 2006

On Friday, October 13, 2006, at 01:10PM, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:

>On Friday 13 October 2006 20:35, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> With most consumer connections it's a lot faster to download than to
>> upload. Perhaps it would save you a few minutes if the contributors
>> uploaded directly to the destination (or to some other fast server)
>> and you could download and sign it, rather than having to scp it back
>> up somewhere from your home connection.
>
>I actually pull them down to both dinsdale and home, then verify they're the
>same with SHA and MD5 before signing, and uploading the keys. The only thing
>I upload directly are the keys and the source tarballs.
>

>> Given any Mac OS X 10.4 machine, the builds could happen
>> automatically. Apple could probably provide one if someone asked. They
>> did it for Twisted. Or maybe the Twisted folks could appropriate part
>> of that machine's time to also build Python.
>
>We have one, macteagle. For some reason builds fail on it right now - Ronald
>might be able to supply more details as to why.

IIRC it has the wrong version of Xcode installed (or rather another one than I use and test with). It also has darwinports installed at the default location, which can cause problems because the setup.py adds that directory to the include/link paths. I don't want to release installers that require that the user has darwinports installed :-)

I can supply a newer version of Xcode if someone with an admin account is willing to install that. I don't know if the admin of that machine has GUI access to the machine, if not I'd have to investigate how to ensure that the proper subpackages get installed using a command-line install (using RemoteDesktop to administrator servers has spoiled me a bit in that regard).

I guess this comes down to the usual problem: I have a working setup for building the mac installer and fixing macteagle takes time which I don't have available in great amounts (who does?).

Ronald