[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Nov 29 12:23:54 CET 2006

Hi Anthony,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 12:53:14AM +1100, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> > python2.4 distutils is excluded by default.
>
> I still have no idea why this was one - I was also one of the people
> who jumped up and down asking Debian/Ubuntu to fix this idiotic
> decision.

I could not agree more.  Nowadays, whenever I get an account on a new
Linux machine, the first thing I have to do is reinstall Python
correctly in my home dir because the system Python lacks distutils.
Wasteful.  (There are some applications and libraries that use distutils
at run-time to compile things, and I'm using such applications and
libraries on a daily basis.)

Armin