[Python-Dev] Distribution tools: What I would like to see

Mike Orr sluggoster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 02:44:54 CET 2006

On 11/27/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Talin schrieb:
> > As far as rewriting it goes - I can only rewrite things that I understand.
>
> So if you want this to change, you obviously need to understand the
> entire distutils. It's possible to do that; some people have done
> it (the "understanding" part) - just go ahead and start reading source
> code.

You (and Fredrik) are being a little harsh on Talin.  I understand the
need to encourage people to fix things themselves rather than just
complaining about stuff they don't like. But people don't have an
unlimited amount of time and expertise to work on several Python
projects simultaneously.   Nevertheless, they should be able to offer
an "It would be good if..." suggestion without being stomped on. The
suggestion itself can be a contribution if it focuses people's
attention on a problem and a potential solution.  Just because
somebody can't learn a big subsystem and write code or docs for it *at
this moment* doesn't mean they never will.  And even if they don't,
it's possible to make contributions in one area of Python and
suggestions in another... or does the karma account not work that way?

I don't see Talin saying, "You should fix this for me."  He's saying,
"I'd like this improved and I'm working on it, but it's a big job and
I need help, ideally from someone with more expertise in distutils."
Ultimately for Python the question isn't, "Does Talin want this done?"
but, "Does this dovetail with the direction Python generally wants to
go?"  From what I've seen of setuptools/distutils evolution, yes, it's
consistent with what many people want for Python.  So instead of
saying, "You (Talin) should take on this task alone because you want
it" as if nobody else did, it would be better to say, "Thank you,
Talin, for moving this important Python issue along."

I've privately offered Talin some (unfinished) material I've been
working on anyway that relates to his vision.  When I get some other
projects cleared away I'd like to put together that TOC of links I
mentioned and perhaps collaborate on a Guide with whoever wants to.
But I also need to learn more about setuptools before I can do that.
As it happens I need the information anyway because I'm about to
package an egg....

--
Mike Orr <sluggoster at gmail.com>