[Python-Dev] Path object design

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Nov 3 02:11:54 CET 2006

Mike Orr wrote:
> I have no idea why Microsoft thought it was a good idea to
> put the seven-odd device files in every directory. Why not force
> people to type the colon ("CON:").

Yes, this is a particularly stupid piece of braindamage
on the part of the designers of MS-DOS. As far as I
remember, even CP/M (which was itself a severely
warped and twisted version of RT11) had the good
sense to put colons on the end of such things.

But maybe "design" is too strong a word to apply
to MS-DOS...

Anyhow, I think I agree that there's really nothing
a path library can do about this. Whatever it tries
to do, the fact will remain that it's impossible to
have a regular file called "con", and users will
have to live with that.

--
Greg