[Python-Dev] PEP: Extending the buffer protocol to share array information.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Nov 1 22:46:29 CET 2006

Chris Barker wrote:

> While /F suggested we get off the PIL bandwagon

I suggest we drop the obsession with pointers to memory areas that are
supposed to have a specific format; modern data access API:s don't work
that way for good reasons, so I don't see why Python should grow a
standard based on that kind of model.

the "right solution" for things like this is an *API* that lets you do
things like:

     view = object.acquire_view(region, supported formats)
     ... access data in view ...
     view.release()

and, for advanced users

     format = object.query_format(constraints)

</F>