[Python-Dev] Cost-Free Slice into FromString constructors--Long

Runar Petursson runar at runar.net
Thu May 25 17:59:18 CEST 2006

> If you really need this for speed, I recommend you make it a custom
> extension.
>
> The custom extension is a good idea, and what we do now.  But now that the
long algorithm is so fast, it would be nice to expose it at least at the C
level to use a substring.  Any solution--be it buffer based or even an
module could have no reuse of the code without an End Pointer.  If we added
the end pointer to a FromSubstring (or somesuch) function (leaving
PyLong_FromString alone), it would be easily reused from any parsing
module.  Assuming it didn't have any negative performance implication.