[Python-Dev] PEP-xxx: Unification of for statement and list-comp syntax

Talin talin at acm.org
Sun May 21 22:11:02 CEST 2006

Steven Bethard wrote:
> On 5/21/06, Heiko Wundram <me+python-dev at modelnine.org> wrote:
>
>>Am Sonntag 21 Mai 2006 17:38 schrieb Guido van Rossum:
>>
>>>This was proposed and rejected before.
>>
>>I haven't seen this proposed before (at least not in PEP form, or with a
>>working implementation against the current trunk, or just in some form of
>>mail on python-dev), so that's why I posted this. But, if I've really
>>repeated things that were proposed before, feel free to ignore this.
>

> While this has been proposed before, I'd like to thank you for putting
> together a full PEP and a working implementaiton.  I think you should
> still submit the PEP, if for nothing else so that when the issue comes
> up again, we can point to the PEP and explain that Guido's already
> rejected it.
>
> Steve

I'd like to second Steve's point. I'm impressed by the thoroughness and
organization of the PEP.

As a general guideline, I've noticed that proposals which are purely
syntactic sugar are unlikely to be accepted unless there is some
additional benefit other than just compression of source code.

-- Talin