[Python-Dev] python 2.4 and universal binaries

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu May 11 23:10:04 CEST 2006

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> The rationale for this is simple: Apple seems to pick up a recent
> copy of python for every new major release of OSX (Python 2.2.x for
> Jaguar, Python 2.3.0 for Panther, Python 2.3.5 for Tiger) and is
> therefore likely to use Python 2.4.x for the next release of the OS.
> The official python 2.4 tree currently doesn't support building
> univeral binaries. Given that Apple ships a broken universal build of
> python 2.3 with the new intel macs I'm worrying that they won't fix
> this for their next OS release, which would increase the support load
> on the pythonmac-sig list. By adding support for universal binaries
> to python 2.4 we'd reduce the change for a broken python in the next
> OSX release.

It's fine with me to backport this. Please be aware, though, that the
release of 2.4.4 is likely to occur *after* the release of 2.5.0.
Not sure when Apple decides to freeze the Python version for the next
OS release, but if they really chose the most recent one "by policy",
that will be either 2.5.0 or 2.4.3.

Regards,
Martin