[Python-Dev] PEP 3102: Keyword-only arguments

Mike Orr sluggoster at gmail.com
Sun May 7 22:48:18 CEST 2006

On 5/7/06, Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:
> The most obvious one to me is the optparse module, where add_option
> takes all kinds of different keyword arguments, and there's really no
> intention of these ever being specified as positional arguments:
>     http://docs.python.org/lib/module-optparse.html

Or MySQLdb, which specifically recommends keyword arguments for the
constructor.  Mainly because the underlying library is controlled by a
third party, so it's unpredictable when and where new arguments will
be added.

(Not that I'm in favor of keyword-only arguments, for the reasons
Terry Reedy has mentioned.)

--
Mike Orr <sluggoster at gmail.com>
(mso at oz.net address is semi-reliable)