[Python-Dev] More on contextlib - adding back a contextmanager decorator

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 2 12:13:16 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 5/1/06, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:
>> Don't forget that the majority of users will never have heard any of
>> these discussions nor have used 2.5a1 or 2.5a2. Choose the best term
>> for them, not for the readers of python-dev.
>
> I couldn't agree more! (Another thought, occasionally useful,is to
> consider that surely the number of Python programs yet to be written,
> and the number of Python programmers who yet have to learn the
> language, must surely exceed the current count. At least, one would
> hope so -- if that's not true, we might as well stop now. :-)

If reason 1 had been my only reason for agreeing with Greg, I wouldn't have
said anything :)

The conflict with 'managed code' and thinking about the number of objects
named 'manager' I've seen in different programs were enough to give me pause,
though.

I've got no real idea as to how we can get a better feel for which terminology
would be clearer to people that haven't already been exposed to this topic for
months, though :(

> Nick, do you have it in you to fix PEP 343? Or at least come up with a
> draft patch? We can take this off-linel with all the +0's and +1's
> coming in I'm pretty comfortable with this change now, although we
> should probably wait until later today to commit.

I can handle the PEP (just getting rid of __context__ for now). I'll willingly
cede the joy of actually fixing SVN to someone else, though :)

Cheers,
Nick.