[Python-Dev] New-style icons, .desktop file

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 15:58:03 CEST 2006

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some time ago, someone posted in python-list about icons using the Python
> logo from the new site design [1]. IMO they are looking great and would
> be a good replacement for the old non-scaling snakes on Windows in 2.5.

Those are *really* pretty. And the self-referential PIL source code and
disassembly is just plain brilliant. . .

You could even use a similar style for a Python egg icon by placing the
plus-Python logo in front of a file folder picture.

However, the concerns raised on python-list about the similarities between the
.exe and .pyc icons are valid, IMO. I also agree with Andrew Clover's own
comment that having the Windows shortcut symbol cover the Python logo on the
.exe is a bad thing.

One way around that would be to simply use the logo itself as the icon for the
executable, and talk to Andrew about using his icons for .py/.pyw and .pyc files.

> While we're at it, Python (and IDLE) .desktop files could be added to the
> distribution, making it easier for newbies on *ix platforms to start up
> a shell or the IDE, together with .png versions of the new icons. A pre-
> liminary .desktop file is available at [2], I have already created a
> corresponding Makefile rule locally.

Kubuntu has a Python shell as one of the options on its Terminal Sessions
menu, so this part doesn't really matter to me. However, given that that box
is my CPython dev machine, I probably don't qualify as one of the newbies
you're targeting with this bit, anyway ;)

Cheers,
Nick.