[Python-Dev] alpha problems -- need input

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Mar 30 19:22:23 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> These issues are on HEAD.  There might be some others I missed.
>
> With cc there are at least 2 issues:
>  * test_file causes interpreter exit due to sys.stdin.seek(-1)
>  * test_pty fails apparently due to whitespace differences
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/alpha%20Tru64%205.1%20trunk/builds/18/step-test/0
>
> Should we skip the test for an invalid seek on stdin on osf1?
> I haven't investigated the test_pty failure further.
>
> With gcc, there are also several issues:
>  * test_float and test_struct fail due to NaN handling
>  * test_long fails
>  * test_ctypes

> test_ctypes fails because _findLib() doesn't seem to work properly on
> OSF1.  Note:  libc.so  =>   /usr/shlib/libc.so
>
> ERROR: test_find (ctypes.test.test_loading.LoaderTest)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/net/ringneck/scratch1/nnorwitz/python/trunk/Lib/ctypes/test/test_loading.py",
> line 40, in test_find
>     cdll.find(name)
>   File "/net/ringneck/scratch1/nnorwitz/python/trunk/Lib/ctypes/_loader.py",
> line 205, in find
>     raise OSError("Library %r not found" % name)
> OSError: Library 'c' not found

The ctypes findLib stuff for 'os.name == "posix"' was written by Andreas Degert,
he used fancy calls to gcc, /sbin/ldconfig, and objdump to find the shared lib
that would be used for the linker's -l<libname> flag.  Apparently this only works
on *some* systems.  On OSX, Bob Ippolito's macholib is used.

If someone could implement this for other systems it would be great, otherwise
it would probably be best to enable this test only on linux .

Thomas