[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Mar 30 18:08:40 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Friday 31 March 2006 02:04, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>> Excellent point. Hm. Maybe we should just go with 'sqlite',
>>> instead.
>> Anything, but please no "db" or "database" top-level module or
>> package :-)
>

> How about "sql"? <wink>
>
> I can't think of a better name right now - can anyone else, or should
> it just go in the top level as 'sqlite'?

I think sqlite is just fine.

>> I take it that this is not going to go into 2.5a1 ?!
>
> Well, right now the major missing bits for landing it right now are
> the windows build project and the documentation. I'm pretty
> comfortable with landing it for a1. It has tests, I've knitted these
> into the Python regression testing suite and they're all passing
> fine. I've tested building on systems with a version of sqlite that
> is acceptable, with no sqlite, and with an old version of sqlite, and
> the build process handles it all correctly.

Will it also work with e.g. sqlite 2.8.15 (ie. sqlite < v3) -
this is the standard version on SuSE 9.2.

>> Also your statement regarding sqlite3 suggests that sqlite
>> itself is not included - why not ?
>
> For the same reasons we don't include the BerkeleyDB library. Many,
> many modern operating systems now ship with libsqlite3 (just as they
> ship with bsddb).  While sqlite is nowhere near the size of
> BerkeleyDB, it's still a non-trivial amount of code.

If it works with sqlite2 then I agree: these versions are
usually available on Unixes. sqlite3 is not as wide-spread
yet.

What about the Windows build ? Will that contain the necessary
DLLs ?

Regards,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 30 2006)