[Python-Dev] building sql queries in python

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Mar 30 13:11:19 CEST 2006

Thomas Wouters wrote:

>     Have you looked at SqlObject?  (and its associated modules
>     sqlobject.sqlbuilder in particular)
>
> SQLAlchemy (www.sqlalchemy.org <http://www.sqlalchemy.org>) is also
> nice, in particular for more complex setups.
 >
> There's plenty of ways to reliably and sanely
> avoid typing actual SQL in Python.

Well, yes, but they all seem to be a bit hackish in
one way or another -- e.g. SQLAlchemy's requirement
to use &, |, ~ instead of and, or, not. (That's one
of the main motivations behind my Overloadable
Boolean Operators PEP, by the way.)

I'd like to see some way of attacking this problem
head-on, rather than endlessly looking for convoluted
ways around it.

--
Greg