[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Mar 30 04:47:50 CEST 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:

> The powers-that-be didn't want to support
> another database server (we already have Sybase) and didn't want our group's
> experimental data "polluting" the production database, so the folks who
> wanted it went the SQLite/pysqlite route.  They were immediately bitten by
> the multiple reader/single writer limitation and they tried to cram too much
> data into it, so performance further sucked.

Firebird could be a solution to this. It can be
used in a mode that doesn't need a server, and it
has no trouble at all with concurrency or large
amounts of data that I know of.

In fact, a Firebird interface might be an
alternative worth considering for the library.
It would have most of the advantages of SQLite
without these disadvantages.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiam!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |