[Python-Dev] Discussing the Great Library Reorganization

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Thu Mar 30 01:53:59 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:

> I don't have a problem with reorganising the standard library, but
> what's the motivation for moving everything under a new root? Is it
> just to allow people to unambigiously get hold of something from the
> stdlib, rather than following the normal search path? Doesn't the
> absolute/relative import PEP solve this problem?

I don't think so. For instance, if I have a package called "db" in my
application (which I import with absolute imports from other packages), I might
have problems with the newly added "db.sqlite" package in Python 2.5. In fact,
I guess my "db" will shadow the stdlib one, making it impossible to access. An
unique prefix for stdlib would solve this.

Giovanni Bajo