[Python-Dev] Discussing the Great Library Reorganization

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Mar 30 01:31:33 CEST 2006

On 3/29/06, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> On Thursday 30 March 2006 08:39, Brett Cannon wrote:
> > Here is a place I think we can take a queue from Java.  I think we
> > should have a root package, 'py', and then have subpackages within
> > that.
>
> org.python.stdlib, surely? <wink>
>
> I don't have a problem with reorganising the standard library, but
> what's the motivation for moving everything under a new root? Is it
> just to allow people to unambigiously get hold of something from the
> stdlib, rather than following the normal search path?

Yes, it's to make it obvious the module came from the stdlib instead
of another package.

> Doesn't the
> absolute/relative import PEP solve this problem?

Basically, but I think it wouldn't hurt to have a specific package
name for the stdlib for in-code documenting instead of thinking that
perhaps someone just stuck a module directly on sys.path .

> And what does 'from py import *' do, anyway?

Not much.  =)  It would import the top-level of a bunch of subpackages
which will most likely not get you to a module, class, or function and
thus couldn't be used to resolve to anything.

-Brett