[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 30 00:00:18 CEST 2006

    Phillip> Pro:

    Phillip> * SQLite is really nice to have for writing simple applications
    Phillip> with small data needs, especially client-side software.  It's
    Phillip> probably the best-of-breed open source embedded SQL DB right
    Phillip> now.

    Phillip> * So, having a wrapper would be a big "Batteries included" plus
    Phillip> for Python

    Phillip> Con:

    Phillip> * Competing Python wrappers exist
    Phillip> * SQLite itself is updated frequently, let alone the wrappers
    Phillip> * Build integration risks unknown, possible delay of 2.5?
    Phillip> * Another external library to track and maybe have emergency
    Phillip> updates of

I haven't been tracking the pysqlite discussion either, but one con you
missed is that regardless of pro #1 people will almost certainly apply it to
problems for which it is ill-suited, reflectly poorly on both Python and
SQLite.  Of course, that can and does happen today.  Including pysqlite with
Python just means it will happen more frequently.

    Phillip> I personally lean somewhat toward the con side because to me
    Phillip> it's just as easy to "easy_install pysqlite" after the fact, or
    Phillip> get it from the appropriate packager (RPM, Debian, whatever).

Is it not possible to distribute an empty db package which is then populated
with various database eggs (or other similar installation things)?

Skip