[Python-Dev] Discussing the Great Library Reorganization

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Mar 29 23:56:00 CEST 2006

On 3/29/06, Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > While this is going to require a PEP (which I am willing to write),
> > the discussion of adding pysqlite has brought forth some discussion on
> > naming and packaging in the stdlub.  Perhaps it's time to start
> > discussing the Great Library Reorganization that has been discussed
> > for eons. [...]
>
> Wouldn't the newly founded python-3000 mailing list be the perfect place
> for such major changes?

If you go back and look at Guido's Python 3000 Process email he said
that the change could occur in 2.6 and then be done for 3000.
Renaming modules is not that hard to make backwards-compatible by
having old names fully import the new name directly (``from py.dev.pdb
import *``), especially if we put everything under the 'py' package
and thus remove any possible name clashing with the existing
arrangement.

So I posted to python-dev since I think we could do it in 2.6 and then
remove a ton of old modules we don't want anymore in 3000.

-Brett