[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 29 19:34:44 CEST 2006

At 07:47 PM 3/29/2006 +1100, Anthony Baxter wrote:
>My only concern about this is that it wouldn't be possible for other
>authors to provide 3rd party packages as (for instance) db.mysqldb
>because of the way package importing works.

See the stdlib module 'pkgutil' for one way around this, that works with
existing Python versions.

And the 'pkg_resources' module, slated for 2.5a2 inclusion, offers another
way, that also works with modules supplied in eggs.

So this bit is going to be more of a policy decision (pkgutil vs.
pkg_resources) rather than a technical problem per se.