[Python-Dev] improving quality

Chris AtLee chris at atlee.ca
Tue Mar 28 17:39:18 CEST 2006

On 3/28/06, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've made a lot of improvement with testing over the years.
> Recently, we've gotten even more serious with the buildbot, Coverity,
> and coverage (http://coverage.livinglogic.de).  However, in order to
> improve quality even further, we need to do a little more work.  This
> is especially important with the upcoming 2.5.  Python 2.5 is the most
> fundamental set of changes to Python since 2.2. If we're to make this
> release work, we need to be very careful about it.

This reminds me of something I've been wanting to ask for a while:
does anybody run python through valgrind on a regular basis?  I've
noticed that valgrind complains a lot about invalid reads in
PyObject_Free.  I know that valgrind can warn about things that turn
out not to be problems, but would generating a suppresion file and
running all or part of the test suite through valgrind on the
buildbots be useful?

Cheers,
Chris