[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Mar 28 13:41:21 CEST 2006

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
>>I'll try to throw in a bit more information that will be necessary for
>>this discussion:
>>
>>pysqlite 2.x is (almost) feature complete now. I've a few more changes
>>sitting in SVN trunk that are waiting for the pysqlite 2.2 release.
>>These are all about wrapping more of the SQLite API, like custom collations.
>
> In what timeframe will those be completed?

I would have waited for a pysqlite 2.2 release until I found a good API
for logging for pysqlite (mainly for reporting exceptions in Python
callbacks). I will probably defer the logging stuff to pysqlite 2.3 and
release pysqlite 2.2 soon with the features currently in SVN.

I know that pushing new things into Python 2.5 should happen soon, if at
all. So *if* pysqlite should go into Python, I propose that I release
pysqlite 2.2.0 and we integrate that into the Python alpha release.

If this is going to happen, I want it to happen under a different
package name than "pysqlite2" and it's probably a good idea to skip
"sqlite" too, because there are still users of the SQLite 1.x API (*)
and this is the package name of that API. OTOH, "sqlite" would be the
natural name if it ends up in Python. Perhaps "sqlitedb" ...

Extensive unit tests are available, as is a reference manual in ReST format.

-- Gerhard

(*) Although if they're really using pysqlite 0.x/1.x then it's unlikely
they'll switch to Python 2.5 with their applications.