[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Mar 28 09:45:02 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> This came up before (back in October 2004!) but didn't go anywhere
> since, AFAICR. Do we want to consider including pysqlite in Python
> 2.5? It's the only DB adaptor that I'd really consider suitable for
> shipping with the distribution, because it's self-contained.
>
> What's people's thoughts?

OTOH, +1 for a simple DB wrapper that makes it easy to start with DB-enabled
applications. The trouble with it can't be worse than the BSDDB issues ;)

OTOH, pysqlite2 seems to have had a fairly rapid sequence of releases in the
past. I don't know whether it is now bug-free (the website claims that the
2.1 branch should be stable, and the 2.0 branch has proven stable).
There also have been some API changes in the 2.0.x line, like the introduction
of executemany() which broke e.g. SQLObject.
Anyway, almost all popular web frameworks rely on PySQLite and seem to work
well with it.

Of course, speaking with Gerhard will be the way to find out more.

Georg