[Python-Dev] PySet API

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Mar 28 05:59:13 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 23:21 +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> > Why don't we expose _PySet_Next() for Barry and leave it out of the public API
> > for everyone else.
>
> That is stupid. If Barry wants a "private" PySet_Next function, he can
> just implement it himself, no need to include it in the release. It
> should be included only if it is meant to be public.

The one thing I'm trying to avoid is requiring us to patch Python when
we move to 2.5.  The most obvious and straightforward implementation of
the 3 API calls are very simple wrappers around static functions defined
in setobject.c (see the patch I posted).  So if the patch gets rejected,
then implementing them as a hack on standard Python 2.5 will require
patching setobject.c or cracking open the PySet structure and /really/
violating the principle of data hiding.  Neither option is very
appealing.

That's why I said in a previous message that I could live with this as a
compromise, although I agree with your (Martin's) sentiment.

-Barry