[Python-Dev] daily releases?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 27 07:38:02 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> Now that the buildbot is in place and seems to be running relatively
> smoothly, maybe should consider making daily (or periodic) builds and
> releasing them.  We've got a system in place to build on many
> platforms automatically.  How much more difficult would it be to
> package up the results and make them available for download?  Maybe we
> could get some users testing these builds?  Would users accept a pure
> debug build?  If not, what about a build with asserts enabled?

Depends on what precisely you mean by "release". If it is a tarball of
the sources, we already have these:

http://svn.python.org/snapshots/

In a release, the most prominent binary is the Windows installer. While
it would be possible to define buildbot build steps to create a Windows
installer (and msi.py even has the notion of "snapshot" builds already),
fetching the results from the buildbot slave isn't really supported.

Whether daily RPMs or Mac installers would be possible, I don't know.

Regards,
Martin