[Python-Dev] r43214 - peps/trunk/pep-3000.txt

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 10:47:54 CET 2006

[bcc python-dev to move to python-3000]

On 3/22/06, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
>
> > neal.norwitz wrote:
> >
> >> +Outstanding Issues
> >> +==================
> >> +
> >> +* Require C99, so we can use // comments, named initializers, declare variables
> >> +  without introducing a new scope, among other benefits.
> >
> > gcc only, in other words ?
>
> Heh, I was going to make this point as well: it's not clear that MSVC
> will ever support C99.  It supports some of the features listed here,
> of course, but probably won't support everything.

Note this is the outstanding issues section.  So everything here is a
question.  By the time 3k is released, who knows what compilers will
support.

> >> +* Remove support for old systems, including: OS2, BeOS, RISCOS, (SGI) Irix, Tru64
> >
> > what's old with tru64 ?  it's not that uncommon in places where Python
> > has a strong presence, you can still buy AXP hardware throughout 2006,
> > and HP says they'll keep developing and supporting the software platform
> > at least through 2011.
>
> And we still have someone actively interested in maintaining the OS2
> port, it seems.

OS2 was a mistake.  I created this list a few days ago before Alan
said he was interested in maintaining it.  Tru64 is difficult (I think
there are still some open bugs that go back years) because no
developer has access to any of these boxes.  It would be good for
people interested in these platforms to speak up and offer their time
or at least access to the platform so we can test.

I haven't researched Tru64 status, but I remember hearing a bunch of
times how it wasn't going to be supported.  If we support these
platforms, we still need to decide what versions.

Again remember all of these are questions.