[Python-Dev] Building Python for AMD64 (Windows)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 22 23:15:53 CET 2006

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Ok, so now I'm able to make itanium builds (which I don't want because I
> don't have such amachine).  The Feb 2003 Platform SDK apparently doesn't have an
> AMD64 compiler.

Right. The Itanium compiler was included in the November 2004 (or so)
SDK (which called itself still Feb 2003); this was available only to
MSDN subscribers.

> In the meantime, I installed a fresh copy of MSVC on a second machine
> (Athlon64, running
> Windows XP 64bit), plus the Platform SDK for Win Server 2003 SP1 - April
> 2005 Edition.

That one does have the AMD64 compiler.

> Same problems with vsextcomp, but vsextcomp repairs the path itself again.
> But here, starting the build it complains:
> CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin
> Error 2 while trying to open SDK path key from registry ...
> Error: Could not determine installation directory of  Microsoft SDK.
>
> Guess I'll install the 2003 SP1 SDK on the first machine and try it there.

No. I thought I had released that version of vsextcomp... MS changed the
registry keys to locate the SDK, and vsextcomp had to be updated for
that. Will check tomorrow.

Regards,
Martin