[Python-Dev] Python 3000 Process

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 10:53:52 CET 2006

> Please don't respond with answers to these questions -- each of them
> is worth several threads. Instead, ponder them, and respond with a +1
> or -1 on the creation of the python-3000 mailing list. We'll start
> discussing the issues there -- or here, if the general sense is not to
> split the list.

-0 on separate mailing list and PEP numbers.

Because to much separation between python 2.x and python 3.x makes 3.x
seem more like vaporware that will never happen (Perl 6). I would have
hoped that the transition to 3.x would be evolutionary in small steps;
removal of string exceptions in one major release, replacement of
print with a function in the next and so on. A total redesign from
bottom up in one release has a very high probability of "failing"
IMHO. Or at least very annoying for end users that who to deal with
two parallel and incompatible versions. The reality is that
discussions about python 3000 has a high probability of being a total
waste of time. I think all those of us who have for lengths argued
whether lambda should stay or be dropped knows that. :)

--
mvh Björn