[Python-Dev] Patch or feature? Tix.Grid working for 2.5

Christos Georgiou tzot at mediconsa.com
Sun Mar 19 17:25:58 CET 2006

"Neal Norwitz" <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ee2a432c0603181427x31d31c6foe39ab01d3a6cf2d9 at mail.gmail.com...
On 3/18/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Christos Georgiou wrote:

> > I would like to know if supplying a patch for it sometime in the next
> > couple
> > of weeks would be considered a patch (since the widget currently is not
> > working at all, its class in Tix.py contains just a pass statement) or a
> > feature (ie extra functionality) for the 2.5 branch...

[Martin]
> I wouldn't object to including it before beta 1.

Good to have a general deadline (ObRef Douglas Adams: ""I like deadlines; I
especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by.")

[Neal]
> Nor would I.  I'm not sure if this helps or not, but a general rule of
> thumb is if it's 100 lines it's probably a patch.  If it's 1000 lines,
> it's probably a major feature.  Given such a patch is pure python and
> probably much closer to 100 lines, this should be ok.

It should amount to 100-200 lines as far as I can see, I'm just playing with
.tk.call and writing down how to do stuff, and trying to grok the general
style of classes interfacing to Tkinter/Tix.  DisplayStyle is already there,
which is good.  Thankfully the tix docs seem to be complete, so it should be
only a matter of time.  I will try to update tixwidgets.py with a demo page
too.

[Neal]
> BTW, have you contacted the Tix people?  It is a separate project and
> looks like people are working on it.  http://tix.sourceforge.net/

That's where I got the documentation.  I haven't contacted them, though,
because I saw that Tix.py hasn't been modified for 4 years now.  I will
offer the patch both to the Python and the Tix Tix.py though, thanks for the
suggestion.