[Python-Dev] PySet API

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sun Mar 19 01:22:55 CET 2006

> [Barry Warsaw]
>> Oh, also, we have a couple of additions to the PySet C API.
>> I'll work on putting together an SF patch for them over the weekend.

What are you proposing to add to the PySet API?

I designed an API that was both minimal and complete.  The idea was to provide
direct access to fined grained functions and access the rest through the
existing abstract API for PyObject and PyNumber as detailed in the Set API docs.
I tried out the API to translate  a number of set algorithms and found that the
API was easy-to-use and sufficient as-is.  There may be room for variants of the
type checking macros, but I would like the rest of the C API to remain as-is
unless some compelling deficiency can be shown.  It is easy to expand the API
later but almost impossible to take anything back once in the field.

IOW, if I have I still have a say in the matter, the patch will most likely not
be accepted.

Raymond