[Python-Dev] Problem with module loading on multi-arch?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 18 09:19:13 CET 2006

Neal Becker wrote:
> x86_64 is multiarch.  That means, we allow both i386 and x86_64 binaries to
> coexits.  Is the proposal that python should not support this?  That would
> be unfortunate.

No. You should install the Python library to the architecture-specific
directory (/usr/lib64/python2.3 for AMD64 and /usr/lib/python2.3 for
x86, I guess). The library destination shouldn't be split into to
locations.

> I suspect is would not be that difficult to correctly support multiarch
> platforms.

If you think you can fix it - go ahead. As I said: I keep applying
patches from people who claim they know how things ought to work,
much without questioning them.

Regards,
Martin