[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r43041 - python/trunk/Modules/_ctypes/cfield.c

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Mar 17 19:37:05 CET 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> I think it's only fair that I ask the patch authors to complete
>> the PEP, since the ssize_t patch is causing extension authors
>> enough trouble already.
>
> Well, the PEP is complete as it stands. It's possible to provide
> more guidelines, but the specification part of it says precisely
> what I intend it to say. Also, the API documentation ought to
> be in the Python documentation, and, for these changes, it is.
>
>> If you want quick adoption of the changes, you have
>> to make it as easy as possible for the authors to port their
>> extensions to the new API. Otherwise, we'll end up having
>> quite a large number of users who can't switch to Python 2.5
>> simply because their favorite extensions don't work with it.
>
> I don't see how giving a complete list of all changed functions
> helps in any way.

I'm not sure if this is what Marc-Andre means, but maybe these definitions
could go into a new include file:

  #if (PY_VERSION_HEX < 0x02050000)
   typedef int Py_ssize_t;
   #define lenfunc inquiry
   #define readbufferproc getreadbufferproc
   #define writebufferproc getwritebufferproc
   #define segcountproc getsegcountproc
   #define charbufferproc getcharbufferproc
   #define ssizeargfunc intargfunc
   #define ssizessizeargfunc intintargfunc
   #define ssizeobjargproc intobjargproc
   #define ssizessizeobjargproc intintobjargproc
   ... more defines
  #endif