[Python-Dev] Bug 1184112 still valid

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Mar 17 15:56:48 CET 2006

Wolfgang Langner wrote:

> today I got my first real python bug. Problem is described in:
>
> Bug with ID: 1184112
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1184112&group_id=5470&atid=105470
>
> I use python 2.3.5 in an embedded C++ Application which uses function:
> PyRun_SimpleString.

the "missing trailing newline may cause errors for multiline statements" is
documented behaviour; from the compile() docs:

    "When compiling multi-line statements, two caveats apply: line
    endings must be represented by a single newline character ('\n'),
    and the input must be terminated by at least one newline character."

see the codeop.py sources for library code that depends on this behaviour.

</F>