[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r43041 - python/trunk/Modules/_ctypes/cfield.c

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Mar 17 10:59:59 CET 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Since this change is going to affect a lot of 3rd party extensions,
>> I'd also like to see a complete list of public APIs that changed and
>> how they changed (including the type slots)
>
> You can construct this list easily by comparing the header files of
> the previous and the current release. Please contribute a patch that
> presents these changes in a form that you would consider acceptable.

Sorry, but I'd rather spend that time on getting my extensions
working again for both Python 2.4 and 2.5.

I think it's only fair that I ask the patch authors to complete
the PEP, since the ssize_t patch is causing extension authors
enough trouble already.

If you want quick adoption of the changes, you have
to make it as easy as possible for the authors to port their
extensions to the new API. Otherwise, we'll end up having
quite a large number of users who can't switch to Python 2.5
simply because their favorite extensions don't work with it.

The argument that it "only" affects 64-bit platforms
simply ignores reality. Most new machines are 64-bit machines,
so by the time Python 2.5 goes public, 64-bit will have a
large enough market share to make a difference.

It's also not good enough to simply suggest to ignore compiler
warnings - this falls back on the extension authors and the
quality of their code without them really having done anything
wrong.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 17 2006)